Wednesday, May 6, 2015

In the Garden-Seeds-MGT

May is all about things in a garden!

This months letters, numbers, color and shape are....

Shape -Diamond, color-pink, Numbers 9 and 19, Letters Y,R,F.
Sight words- like, little & said




We then talked about todays topic...Seeds

What do you need to grow a garden? Dirt, water or rain, sun and of course Seeds.
Where do seeds come from?

We explored where seeds come from....





 Cut and apple in many pieces and found a seed.
Sad, I know. But there was only one seed inside this apple.
If you plant an apple seed, what do you get?  
Group response....apples.
Yes, you do get apples but first the seed grows into a tree.
Group response...oh ya. 



I then cut a tomato into slices and we found all of the seeds inside of it.

If you plant a tomato seed what does it grow into?
A tomato plant.

I guess if you ask the right question, I get the right answer.


We ate these for snack.  Most children passed on the tomatoes. But all of them were happy to eat the apple.




For one of our learning centers I gave the children a small circle rug to use as a garden, tangrams for seeds and bunnies for the garden.

This is what these 4 came up with.  Bunnies eating seeds.   I heard them talking about what kind of pattern they should make. They took turns placing shapes and bunnies in the garden.
I love how they worked together and got their littles minds solving problems at the same time.
They also discussed what kinds of seeds they were planting and what the bunnies where eating.


 I read the story Jack and the Beanstalk to the children. This is a Mother Goose version and the giant doesn't try to hurt or eat jack.

We talked about why Jack's mother would be upset with him for giving the cow away for seeds. And how the magic seeds grew very fast. Real plants don't grow that fast.  One child told us that giants Don't wear shoes.

I like how the story ended happy and focused on the importance of seeds and gardens.


They children worked on their bilingual books today.





The older children had time to work in their journals .
They practiced writing the letter Y and creating a garden.

I love listening to the things they talk to each other about while writing.

I'm going to grow a very huge garden when I get big.
I want to grow a huge beanstalk so I can see a real giant.
I think there will be bunnies in my garden.


At least I know they listened to what we talked about today.






Wordpress.com: Blogger:

No comments: